Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Busch Gardens and Tampa

Early Saturday morning, we packed up and drove over to Tampa to enjoy yet another theme park - Busch Gardens.  My family went here A TON growing up so Busch Gardens is definitely a favorite. We used to get season passes there almost every year so we were all SO excited to get to go there again
Once again we rotated between riding the big rides and watching the kids play in kiddie land.  The kiddie land there was a Sesame Street theme which was fun.  We even saw Bert and Ernie and Big Bird and the gang :)
Since last time I was there, they've built a few new roller coasters. I was so scared to go on their new ride Sheikra because it drops you straight down (yes, a 90 degree angle going down!) which was a little unnerving.  But we all made it out alive :)  They've also built a new "safari" tour so you can see the animals up close.
It was such a fun day!  And I'm so glad we got to go!


Being back in Tampa brought back so many memories!  Poor Nate had to endure all of my family's reminiscing, but he was a good sport about it :)  Since I lived in Tampa until I was 13, I have so many good memories there.  I haven't been back to visit Tampa since high school and it was interesting seeing how much things have changed.  Nate and I went on a drive around Carrolwood - looking at the house I grew up in, my old middle school, my old church building, the old grocery store we went to, and the Shell station where my two best friends and I would ride our bikes to every day to buy slurpies. 


On Sunday we went to church in Tampa and got to visit with many of our old friends.  I loved getting to catch up with my friends Laura and Jill.  It seems like just yesterday we were having sleepovers and playing street hockey and swimming every day.  And now we are all old and married with kids :)


After church we headed over to the Gillrie's home - some of our closest friends there. We used to celebrate Christmases and Thanksgivings with them all the time. My good friend Mary now lives in California so she wasn't there, but it was so fun to spend time with her parents, Paul and Jan and brother Adam.


Later on that night, Nate and I and the boys drove out to the beach.  We were trying to drive out to Clearwater beach but we missed the turn off so we ended up at Redington which was just as beautiful.  We got there right as the sun was setting and it was breathtaking.  I love that place.

No comments: